Evaluating opportunities and trying new things are at the core of what makes life fun for me. Sometimes this has led to me become involved in really fun, short-term projects, such as one of DJ Waldow's 28-day challenges. Other times, this evaluation process has focused on more serious decisions, such as when I made the choice to co-author a sports and social media textbook (currently in the final stages of writing) with Tim Newman, Charles Harris and Brendan Wilhide.
As of today, I’m evaluating new projects and opportunities to work with smart, passionate, and awesome people and companies. I’m a free agent! …at least in the work world. I’ve just wrapped up a gig for the past two years working at the online marketing company/technology provider, eWayDirect, and am now seeking new opportunities.
Call me crazy but I'm pretty excited about the position I'm in. After 2+ years at eWayDirect I was able to gain a ton of knowledge about digital marketing as a whole, especially email marketing and search marketing, and work on ways that social media can support and enhance companies' programs in these channels. I was able to work with great people and gain experience in a variety of areas, including marketing, product management, account management and sales. Some highlights included the following:
- Helped a client launch an online community that attracted 4,500 members in the first 3 months. This client won an award from PROMO Magazine for their approach to email and social media.
- Created and executed a promotion through Twitter that won the grand prize in the HP Intel Small Business Success Stories Contest last year.
- Contributed to a book called "Chatter Marketing: Putting the Relationship Back Into Customer Relationship Management," written by Neil Rosen, eWayDirect's CEO and brilliant marketer.
- Launched and managed eWayDirect's social media presence and programs. Saw our blog's unique visitors increase by almost 400% so far this year vs. the same period in 2010.
- Worked with an online retailer to increase transactions and revenue from social media referral traffic by 200% and 120%, respectively, compared to the previous period of months.
Earlier today I started an evaluation of my work/career by writing down a few general phrases that describe what I like and want to do (my favorite-so far-is in bold)
- work with smart, passionate people to make a difference
- help a world-changing company get the word out about its revolutionary product
- make a significant and direct impact in a company’s performance by calculated use of social and marketing strategy
- help make awesome people and companies more awesome
Whatever my next move is, it will involve some mix of digital marketing, technology, social media, communication and analytics...likely at a manager/director level. Other than that, I just want to work with smart people who are passionate about what they do. I've started a list of companies that have people, products and services that align with what I'm looking, but it's in the early stages. I'd like to stay in the Arlington/DC area but I'm not ruling out moving for the right opportunity and location.
Other than work, here's some other stuff that's coming up on my radar. I was recently selected as one of the VPs of digital content/communication (my man Alex Priest is the other) for DC's Social Media Club. I'm psyched about working with some smart folks on helping the club further its mission of facilitating the sharing of best practices, insights and examples related to social media be awesome.
Lastly, I mentioned above that I was working on a sports marketing and social media textbook. We're in the final stages of writing so that has definitely been keeping me busy on nights and weekends. If all goes well, the book will be published early next year.
How You Can Help
If you've made it this far, I want to say thank you for reading and sticking with me. I feel incredibly lucky to have been able to meet so many of you through social media and offline at events, meetups, conferences, etc. If you'd like to help me out on my quest to find awesome people and companies, feel free to get in touch using this contact form, email (firstname.lastname@example.org), Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or stalk me in person (please, no real stalkers). You can also help me spread the word by sharing this post with friends and colleagues via social media or email. Here's a link to use if you want a short version...and want to help me satisfy my cravings for analytics. :)
Thanks again for reading and I'll talk to you soon!
P.S. I apologize for any formatting errors above...This Wordpress theme/version acts funky sometimes.